Re: Setting GRUB 2 default menu entry

From: Barry Jackson
Subject: Re: Setting GRUB 2 default menu entry
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:29:23 +0000

On 28/01/13 07:52, Francesco Turco wrote:

The problem is that at boot time I'd like to load by default the fifth
revision of my kernel (vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-5), not the third one
(vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-third). I also prefer not to access the submenu
for choosing the right kernel to load.

How can I change this behaviour? How can I tell GRUB that I want to run
the fifth revision of my kernel by default and not the older third
revision? In general, how can I change the default entry line to match
the kernel I want and not a seemingly random one picked by GRUB?

I also tried with setting GRUB_DEFAULT=3 in /etc/default/grub and
re-running grub2-mkconfig. But at boot time the default entry is still
vmlinuz-3.7.4-gentoo-third.

Another problem I noticed with the GRUB_DEFAULT approach is that it
seems that you first have to run grub2-mkconfig for having the orderded
list of kernels, then you set that variable with the number of kernel
you want to load by default, but at last you have to re-run
grub2-mkconfig in order for the variable to take effect.

Thank you.

Maybe using:

GRUB_DEFAULT="saved"
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"

would go some way to acheiving what you want.
It will select the last top level menu used followed by the
last used lower level, just requiring two presses of ENTER to
get to your regular kernel.
Combining this with a default timeout of 0 may do what you need although I have not tested it.

Barry