Re: Wallpaper image stay on the screen after I choose the kernel to star

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Wallpaper image stay on the screen after I choose the kernel to start.
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:40:51 -0800

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Luca Della Ghezza <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi to all.
> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 (AMD64) with Grub2. I customized the grub appearence
> using the Grub Customizer software (by Daniel Richter) and everything is ok,
> but I found that using a jpg image as wallpaper, that image stay on the
> screen after the kernel has been choose (manually or automatically) and this

This is actually an Ubuntu "feature", they wanted to have a seamless
transition between grub, plymouth, and GDM and so they configured
things so that the image left by grub doesn't get overwritten until
plymouth starts. This feature seems to be configured by passing the
vt.handoff=7 kernel parameter and is technically outside the scope of
grub as it's not grub that's interpreting this parameter but I'll try
to pass on what (little) information I know about it (most of which
can be found at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/32999/what-is-vt-handoff-7-parameter-in-grub-cfg
as well).

> kills the splash image.

VT handoff should not "kill the splash image", if by "splash image"
you mean plymouth, and I don't think that it is interfering with
plymouth in your case. If you're not seeing plymouth at boot then
that's probably a separate problem, and if it weren't for vt.handoff=7
you'd probably just see a black screen until *DM instead of seeing the
image that grub left.

> As Daniel says in this Launchpad answer
> https://answers.launchpad.net/grub-customizer/+question/220803 , his
> software uses the standard way to set the wallpaper image.
> So my question is:
> There is something we can do to make disappear the wallpaper image once the
> kernel has been selected to start?

Removing vt.handoff=7 will probably accomplish this, though as stated
above what you probably really want is to get plymouth working,

> Or is a "bug" that must be corrected in the grub2 code?

It's a feature implemented with cooperation between grub and the
kernel (and userspace utilities during the boot process) which you're
noticing because plymouth isn't taking over early in the boot process
as it should for some reason.

> Thx a lot.

You're welcome.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)