Re: Can Grub2 boot Windows 98 i.e. Can Grub2 boot SCO Unix

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Can Grub2 boot Windows 98 i.e. Can Grub2 boot SCO Unix
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 11:19:55 +0000

GervanDijck wrote:
>Chris Murphy mailed me and  did ask who in godsname does use SCO Unix ?
>  I do not like this mentality

I agree.
I bet there are still a lot of old SCO installs around running some pretty
'mission critical' systems. Where I used to work, our whole company ran on an
OpenServer 5 install - it's 7 1/2 years since I left, and I think they only
replaced that system a few months ago. So there's a system that ran solidly,
with minimal maintenance*, for well over a decade (probably getting on for 15
years).
I happen to kinow the recent status as they asked me back last year for
assistance. Their new guy was in the process of virtualising it onto VMWare as
the hardware was obsolete and they were "getting nervous" about being able to
deal with a failure. It was a strange feeling, some stuff (such as divvying
disks) I hadn't touched for well over a decade.
I had a lot of respect for the "old" SCO - it was a good solid product (even if
it was 'quirky' and a little behind the times), and they had some good people
doing support via the newgroups.

* Most of the routine stuff was covered by scripts I'd written over the years.

However, I can see why people might not want to be bothered writing GRUB code
for it. It's going to be a very minority OS, and as already hinted at, it's
unlikely that anyone with the knowledge to write the code is actually
interested in running that OS.

Is the problem that GRUB2 can't boot it, or just that it isn't
autodetected/configured ?
Scraping around in the dark recesses of the dodgy memory, ISTR it had it's own
bootloader. Can you simply chanload that from GRUB to boot it ?