Re: pxe boot with Grub-2.00?

From: Misha
Subject: Re: pxe boot with Grub-2.00?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:54:51 +0000

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 06:37:31 +0400 Andrey Borzenkov
<address@hidden> wrote:

> В Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:27:56 +0000
> Vanush Paturyan <address@hidden> пишет:

> > On 20 Mar 2013, at 16:14, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> >
> > > В Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:28:28 +0000

> > > Documentation is probably out of date, but it also suggests using
> > > grub-mknetdir. It *is* available and knows which modules to use :)
> >
> > Did that but run into known issue with "endianness" (whatever that
> > means). Had to revert back to 1.99 (was easier to go 1.99 than pull
> > things from git repository).
> >

> Not sure I understand it. grub-mknetdir is shell script and unlikely
> to have any endianness issues. Could you explain the problem in more
> details?

Here's what happens for me with grub-2.00 (downloaded from
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub).

1. ./configure && make fails with "grub-core/kern/device.c:101:7:
error: trampoline generated for nested function
'iterate_disk' [-Werror=trampolines] grub-core/kern/device.c:145:7:
error: trampoline generated for nested function
'iterate_partition' [-Werror=trampolines]" (this has been reported here
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36669).

2. as suggested in the bug #36669 running ./configure --disable-werror
at least allows me to compile grub2. After running "make && make
install" I'm using grub-mknetdir to create the net directory and
transferring it to my tftp serverhen I boot the PC over the network I'm
getting "Welcome to GRUB" message, followed by error: timeout reading
'i386-pc/normal.mod"

I think it is similar to the bug #36795. I also found somewhere else on
the web a reference to the revision 4548 on the bzr branch of the trunk
(http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/grub/trunk/grub/revision/4548) that
fixes this "endianness" problem. I was referring to it. I have not
tested the fix on my system, instead I decided to go back to version
1.99, which works as expected (if the image is created with
grub-mknetdir.

Misha.
- --
Vanush "Misha" Paturyan