Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:57:09 -0400

On 2013-03-25 10:48 (GMT-0700) Jordan Uggla composed:

if you did find a liveCD/DVD which used
grub legacy as its bootloader you would only be able to use it to
install a boot sector for a partition with an already existing and
properly setup /boot/grub/.

I have a pile of (live) Knoppix OM used and usable for installing Grub Legacy to a wiped or previously virgin HD in a BIOS system, all without looking up any docs WRT how to go about it. First I create partitions and filesystems, then I install Grub, and only then to I proceed to install any operating systems.

any event, there's no need for chroot when using live media containing
executable Grub Legacy, or if as $SUBJECT breaking to a Grub prompt from a

Many people seem to grossly misremember what grub legacy actually did,
and did-not, do.

What I very well remember is it does everything I need it to do, and without repeatedly warning me about deprecated cmdline arguments or stuffing dire warnings about consequences of not installing to MBR in my face. And any time I'm somehow faced with grub> instead of an expected menu at boot time, I already know what commands do what in order to proceed, because they weren't superceded during a massive code rewrite.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/