Re: Grub rescue

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:25:05 -0600

On Mar 27, 2013, at 3:21 AM, David WE Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

> As posted elsewhere, with all 3 discs connected and grub-install run
> against a GPT partition, on reboot I can see the two MBR discs and not the
> GPT disc.

This is all very unclear terminology, as I mentioned elsewhere.

This GPT disk contains a BIOS Boot partition? And you used grub-install on that
GPT disk? And when you reboot you're absolutely certain it's loading GRUB off
the GPT disk?

It doesn't make sense that GRUB loads from a GPT disk, and then can't see that
GPT disk. That's pretty inexplicable, don't you think?

> Because core.img has been built with part_gpt I can't see the partitions
> on either MBR disc.

It sounds like os-prober isn't finding systems on those MBR partitioned disks,
therefore it's not building MBR support into the core.img. This might have to
do with an old version of os-prober, or maybe the partitions os-prober is
searching are encrypted.

> I note that the version (1.99) of grub2 is quite old - this is the version
> that ships with the latest version (12.04) of Ubuntu.

12.10 has 2.00-7 listed in the repos. I suspect you can still use it on 12.04.
I don't know if os-prober is a separate package, but I'd make sure that too is
as up to date as you can make it.

Chris Murphy