Re: Unable to boot after moving partition

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Unable to boot after moving partition
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 00:04:19 -0400

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:04:48PM EDT, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> В Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:39:02 -0400
> Chris Jones <address@hidden> пишет:

> The error simply means that BIOS returned an error when asked about
> second disk. There is nothing grub can do here.
>
> Did you replace disk probably with different disk? What disk size?

Nothing fancy about either of the disks.. They're the ones that came
with the laptop.

| % parted -l
|
| Model: ATA HITACHI HTS54503 (scsi)
| Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
| Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
| Partition Table: msdos
|
| Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
|  1      1049kB  1827MB  1826MB  primary   ntfs            boot
|  2      1827MB  61.2GB  59.3GB  primary   ntfs
|  4      61.2GB  235GB   173GB   extended
|  7      61.2GB  98.2GB  37.0GB  logical   ext4
|  8      128GB   174GB   46.1GB  logical   ext3
|  5      202GB   215GB   12.8GB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
|  6      215GB   235GB   20.0GB  logical   ext4
|  3      295GB   320GB   25.2GB  primary   ntfs
|

| Model: ATA HITACHI HTS54503 (scsi)
| Disk /dev/sdb: 320GB
| Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
| Partition Table: msdos
|
| Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
|  1      63.5kB  320GB   320GB   extended               boot
|  5      2097kB  40.0GB  40.0GB  logical   ext3
|  6      40.0GB  228GB   188GB   logical   ext3
|  7      298GB   320GB   21.9GB  logical   ext4

As to the error messages, doesn't it look like for some reason grub
still has the "physical address" (C/H/L or such..) stored somewhere and
I need to make it realize the partition has been moved..?

Concerning recent maintenance, all I did was a move/resize of this
partition:

I needed to move it to the "end" of the disk to free up some space
in order to increase /dev/sdb6.

I am pretty sure I have moved bootable partitions in the past on this
same machine and it was so trivial I didn't bother to make a note of
what I did... I think I only had to run grub-install on both disks and
that took care of it..

Not sure this is of any interest but the version of grub is the one that
comes with debian stable:

ii  grub-pc                   1.99-27+deb7u2

As to the BIOS I haven't updated it in ages. Not since I created this
partition.

As far as I can tell, the file system on /dev/sdb7 has not been damaged
by the resize/move operation: there were no errors when I ran gparted
and an "e2fsck -f" I just did does not report any errors.

Anything else you need me to check..?

Thanks,

CJ

--