problems grub with ubuntu 13.10 and bois of H87-D3H (motherboard)

From: Elim Qiu
Subject: problems grub with ubuntu 13.10 and bois of H87-D3H (motherboard)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:36:16 -0700

I think the problem is mainly due to the motherboard and the the bios...

There is the story:

1) Use mac installer to create the HDD with GUID partition table with a single fat partition (this way for mac disk util happy after windows gets installed)

2) Install win7 64bit (reformat the partition to ntfs) without any customization

3) Use ubuntu installer (windows disk manager's work cannot be recognized by mac and/or linux) to resize window's partition and add  partitions after windows (without really install ubuntu)

4) Use mac installer to format a mac partition after windows and install mac there (after this, mac boot loader is working for mac, but windows cannot boot from that boot loader although windows partition is recognized. Through bios partition boot menu, choose Windows boot manager, one can still boot into windows)

5) Install ubuntu after mac, the HDD was finalized with this: (reported by ubuntu's  Disks app)

EFISystem  FAT (32-bit version)--Mounted at /boot/efi  200MB
Windows     NTFS    200GB
Mac            HFS+    400GB
Free Space 135 MB
STORAGE  FAT32   150 GB
/ (Ubuntu)    Ext4      121 GB
/home (Ubuntu) Ext4 125 GB
Swap                          4 GB

It's no good from Ubuntu's terminal:

address@hidden:~$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xe2a91225

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1  1953525167   976762583+  ee  GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Now grub took over and be the default. It boots ubuntu and windows ok but simply hangs if trying to but mac through it.

With this matherboard, I then made mac partition the 1st hdd partition to boot, it works for mac os but not for windows and linux, former is shown in the mac boot menu but leads to boot error, the latter simply not recognized by mac boot loader.

But the 3 operating systems are all bootable via bios boot manu.

My question is: how to make grub working for mac in my situation?

Thanks for your help!

elim