grub-installation fails on LVM on SW-RAID

From: Michael Prokop
Subject: grub-installation fails on LVM on SW-RAID
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:45:34 +0100

Hi,

I'm using LVM on SW-RAID (mdadm, raid level 6, 1.2 metadata) for /boot.
GRUB 1.99-27+deb7u2 from Debian/wheezy works fine with this
configuration in a VM setup, but amusingly the *same* setup fails on
physical hardware with:

| # grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
| error: unknown LVM metadata header.
| error: unknown LVM metadata header.
| /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for
/dev/mapper/cryptorootfs.  Check your device.map.
| Auto-detection of a filesystem of /dev/mapper/cryptorootfs failed.
| Try with --recheck.
| If the problem persists please report this together with the output of
"/usr/sbin/grub-probe --device-map="/boot/grub/device.map" --target=fs -v
/boot/grub" to <address@hidden>

GRUB 2.00-22 from Debian/unstable works, but since I'd like to use
this setup also with plain Debian/wheezy systems I'd be interested
why this is actually failing here. Could it be that grub finds any
previous/outdated metadata on the disks? Is there any workaround?

Further logs/details available at
http://michael-prokop.at/homesrv/grub.txt - if you need any further
data/information please let me know.

(Please CC me on replies, I'm not subscribed to the help-grub ml)

regards,
-mika-