Re: Managing multi grub installs

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Managing multi grub installs
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 17:31:35 +0530

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> В Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:51:52 +0530
> Rustom Mody <address@hidden> пишет:
>

> > > Why do not simply chainload each bootloader? I.e.
> > >
> > > menuentry "Debian bootloader" {
> > >   search --set --label Debian500G
> > >   multiboot /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
> > > }
> >
> > Tried this. I get:
> >
> > Welcome to Grub (in inverse video)
> > error file not found
> > Entering rescue mode
> > grub rescue>
> >
> > How I tried:
> >
> > At the grub prompt I gave the following
> > multiboot (hd0,5)/boot/grub/core.img
> >
> > Notes
> > 1 Tab expansion expands to that (there is no i386-pc directory)
>
> Hmm ... this would mean relatively old grub2 version. I'm afraid I do
> not have experience with them. Current grub2 puts enough information in
> core.img to find its modules when loaded this way. It is possible that
> older version depended on something passed by BIOS.

Ok... Time to (hand)upgrade I guess

So I ran the bootinfo script from http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

I get

=== Boot Info Summary: ========

 => Grub2 (v1.97-1.98) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector
    1 of the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and
    looks in partition 2 for /grub.

sda2: _______________________________

   File system:       ext2
    Boot sector type:  -
    Boot sector info:
    Operating System:
    Boot files:        /grub/grub.cfg /grub/core.img

So now does this plan look right??

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot
# this is normally not mounted

cp /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg ~/grub.cfg
# Saving my old hand made settings

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --recheck /dev/sda
# should that be /mnt/boot or should it be /mnt/boot/grub ???

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

check booting ## FINGERS CROSSED

copy back entries from my old file as needed