Re: Gamepad support (SevenBits)

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: Gamepad support (SevenBits)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:33:03 -0400

On Monday, March 31, 2014, Tom Davies <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi :)
I really like the idea of this getting sorted.  The devs might not be
able to implement it in a hurry but it would be fantastic if Robert or
Alexander or someone are able to post a bug-report/feature-request so
that they start thinking about it.

Note that coding skills are NOT needed for posting a
bug-report/feature-request.  You don't even need technical skills.
The devs might appreciate it if you can test patches but they can lead
you through that or they can find someone else or another way of
testing.  It's a lot like posting an email or writing a comment at the
end of an article.

One obvious challenge that would need to be considered is how to map keyboard inputs to those on a gamepad. This might be somewhat challenging, as up and down behavior like you'd find on the arrow keys will be easy (relatively) to implement, BUT what about additional actions, like e.g when the user presses e to modify an entry's settings. This would be impossible on a gamepad unless we map each specific button to a certain function, and then you'd have to deal with variations between controllers, like Xbox vs Playstation vs a generic PC controller.

How would these issues be addressed?

Until the devs do add this functionality Robert is going to need
something else.  Does Lilo or Grub 0.97 have this support?  What do
existing gamepad OSes use?

Regards from
Tom :)