RE: Need help installing Grub2

From: sashab
Subject: RE: Need help installing Grub2
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 12:52:06 +0200

Hello Ronald,

i'm not an expert. In your situation i would propose to install grub2 on a
usb-thumbdrive on an another box.
(I believe that this is the most simple way.)
For a BIOS system something like this should do:

$ grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX

After that you can edit the grub.cfg on this drive to boot the FreeBSD on the
target box.
I believe that it could look like something like this:

#
menuentry "FreeBSD" {
linux (hd1, 3)/boot/linux
initrd (hd1, 3)/boot/initrd
}
#EOF

I have no idea of FreeBSD, so you should verify the filenames of kernel- and
ramdisk-files.
You can boot from this flash drive to look how grub determines your partition
numbers. I assumed (hd1, 3).

After FreeBSD is running you can install grub to the HD. Use osprober to create
a config for your Windows-Installation.
I think in this step you should use FreeBSD's grub.

Depending on your Windows-Installation you can boot your Recovery partition
either from BIOS or from NTLDR. This shouldn't be a problem.

Please let me know if something isn't well understandable.

Regards,

sashab