Re: Using Grub across architectures

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Using Grub across architectures
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 18:59:53 +0400

В Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:00:07 +0100
David Goodenough <address@hidden> пишет:

> If I have a host PC (say an Amd64) and I want to set up grub on a USB
> stick for use on another system (say an ARM or i386 system) how do I tell
> grub to use the version on the stick (assume that the USB stick already
> has a complete linux system including grub physically on the USB stick)
> rather than the host code?

If I understand your question correctly:

grub-install --directory=/path/to/grub/on/USB/<arch> ...

e.g.

grub-install --directory=/mnt/usb/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc ...

Not everything is really possible to cross-platform. In particular, any
actions that involve updating system NVRAM are obviously not possible
unless you are on this system.

You may also look at grub-mkrescue which creates bootable hybrid
ISO/USB image for all platforms present in /usr/lib/grub/<platform> (or
where it is installed).