Unable to find a device on multiple controller system

From: GA
Subject: Unable to find a device on multiple controller system
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:06:24 +0300

Hello,

I would like to start that I'm not very adept at GRUB2. My issue is that I can't get a device as boot option in GRUB

My improvised workstation consists of:

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard running a Phenom 1090t, with the following disk arrangement:
Integrated SB850 (fake raid) AHCI Controller (4 ports) - 3 are used for RAID0 and the last is a single disk (SSD) and HP P400 SAS Controller for RAID5.

The would be config is to have linux on the p400, windows on the SSD (still need some stuff from there)

Due to the low end consumer motherboard, when the P400 is connected, the PCI option rom of the SB850 disappears and via the BIOS it's not possible to select other boot device besides PXE/USB and the P400. So actually the first boot device in the BIOS is the USB.
My distro of preference is openSUSE 13.1. I've decided (due to sometimes trying other stuff) to keep grub and /boot on a separate USB drive and actually boot from it (which works flawlessly).

With this setup there is no problem to have Linux on any of the tree targets (the SSD, SB850 RAID0 and P400 RAID5). Even with LVM2 and BtrFS everything works as expected. My issue is that no matter what, I can't get to boot into the Windows 8.1 installation.

With my limited knowledge, it seems that for some reason, GRUB cannot find anything else besides the USB drive. Although my device.map file contains all devices properly (I've tried all types /dev/disk/by-id,by-path, by-uuid), when at the CLI I get only hd0 as the USB and an unknown to me hd1 with size of 4GB. all the rest hd* devices are missing. I've tried manually locating them with search but to no avail. I see with lspci that both controllers are visible.

My guess is that for some reason the cheap BIOS confuses GRUB. Since I'm booting from the USB drive, afterwards the Linux kernel takes over and properly finds all controllers, volumes and filesystems.

Is it possible to resolve this issue, so I can boot not only into Linux, but chainload Windows 8.1?

Thank you in advance!