grub-mkrescue - entry point isn't in a segment

From: Joseph Naegele
Subject: grub-mkrescue - entry point isn't in a segment
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:13:19 -0400

Hi folks,

I apologize if this isn't something you can help with, but here is my issue:

I'm working on a custom 32-bit x86 kernel and I use grub-mkrescue to
generate a bootable ISO. I'm using the multiboot spec and I
successfully can load my kernel using "qemu-system-i386 -kernel <elf
file>". When using grub-mkrescue, in both Bochs and QEMU, Grub tells
me my entry point isn't in a segment ("error: entry point isn't in a
segment"). My entry point is 0x100000, but I immediately enable 4MB
paging and map my kernel to 0xC0100000. I could attach my linker
script and startup NASM code, but to make things easier I'm
essentially using the code from this commonly used tutorial:
http://wiki.osdev.org/Higher_Half_bare_bones.

If I revert to old code where I don't move my kernel to the 3GB range,
Grub has no problem loading from the entry point. I'm pretty confident
that at some point around a year ago I was able to boot my
"higher-half" kernel using a packaged Grub 2 (I can't remember which
distro). I suppose it could have actually been Grub 1.97 or something
unfortunately.

My grub.cfg:

menuentry "Dune32" {
    multiboot /boot/kernel.bin
}

I'm testing with "qemu-system-i386 -cdrom <ISO> ".
I've tried the master branch of Grub 2, as well as various commits
from the Git repo, including the 2.02~beta1 and 2.02~beta2 tags to no
avail.
Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!
--