Re: How to build grub-emu

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: How to build grub-emu
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:15:51 +0300

В Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:14:08 +0000
John Lane <address@hidden> пишет:

> I've looked for documentation explaining how to build grub-emu but
> haven't found any. I did look in INSTALL.
>
> Here's what I am doing, this is with a git clone of master.
>
> $ ./autogen.sh
> $ ./configure --with-platform=grub-emu
> $ make
>
> I get executables
>
> ./grub-core/grub-emu-lite
> ./grub-core/grub-emu
>
> When I run "grub-emu" I get a window opening with garbage in it and a
> warning on the console:
>
> error: can't open `/boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2': No such file or directory.

You need extra dependencies to create font unicode.pf2. Do you have
grub-mkfont binary created? If not, configure should have said in
summary what is missing. Otherwise it should just work.

> When I run "grub-emu-lite" I get an error
>
> error: can't open `/boot/grub/x86_64-emu/normal.mod': No such file or
> directory.
>
> I then get a "grub rescue>" prompt but nothing works (not even "exit").

That needs to be fixed, yes. Not nice.

> To close both executables I have to use "kill -9"
>
> The emulators appear to be looking in /boot for things but the system I
> am on has legacy grub in "/boot".

grub-emu should just work once you have the font built.
grub-emu-lite ... someone would need to fix it to run from build
directory. Quick workaround is to do

address@hidden:~/build/grub> ln -s . grub-core/x86_64-emu
address@hidden:~/build/grub> ./grub-core/grub-emu-lite -d $PWD/grub-core

but you probably will have the same unifont issue.