Re: GRUB2 support for "map()" and "liveswap"

From: Mellissa Dalby
Subject: Re: GRUB2 support for "map()" and "liveswap"
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 17:29:38 -0500

Hi Andrei,
Thanks for the tips, I'll try that.

Here's a link that describes the proper use of liveswap in the old GRUB, implemented on the "Super Grub Boot Disk" as I mentioned it:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_liveswap

On Dec 9, 2014, at 14:06, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

В Tue, 9 Dec 2014 13:52:44 -0500
Mellissa Dalby <address@hidden> пишет:

Hi Andrei,
The "map()" and "liveswap" commands were working in the legacy GRUB (version 0.97 I think).
They somehow make it possible to work around BIOS limitations in older systems that prevent the GRUB Bootloader from vectoring off to another hard disk to boot.

For EXAMPLE:
/dev/sda1       /boot   GRUB
/dev/sda2       /   LINUX boots OK

/dev/sdb1      Windows no boot!

Grub entries using "map()" and "liveswap":

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
liveswap

I have never heard about liveswap, but drivemap command in grub2 should
do what you need.

drivemap -s (hd0) (hd1)

Somehow fools the BIOS into believing /dev/sdb1 is actually /dev/sda1.

I don't know how it does that because I never fetched the legacy GRUB source code.