Re: grub rebooting continuously

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: grub rebooting continuously
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:15:08 +0100

Hi,

pinging the first post is bad... however if somebody has some clues on how to analyze this problem more (I suppose some kind of bug in GRUB) please tell.

I'll try the booting the latest HURD live CD this evening.

Riccardo

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

I need GRUB2 to boot GNU/HURD Debain which I run an "classic" [1] computer which has supported HURD (and GRUB) to about a year and a half ago, when my HDD broke down.

To reinstall, since the machine now was too little RAM to install HURD, I took the HDD, put it in a newer, faster x86 class machine with PATA, installed. On the "host" machine, GRUB boots HURD. I disabled framebuffer in the config file.

When put back in the original computer, I get into an infinite loop: computer starts, POSTS, instead of seeing the menu, the computer reboots and goes so on forever.

What can I do to fix that? I tried "esc" an "shift" without success.

Is  there a floppy I can use to try to access this machine?

I trued subergrubdisk, but that too does the same thing (although I can sometimes with "shift" get an exception seen on the display before the computer reboots).

I thus suppose that since a certain version, Grub2 has become incompatible with my computer.

Any hints to work around, fix or at least give more information?

Than you

Riccardo

[1] Siemens Workstation, Pentium II, PS/2 Keyboard, Floppy and an nVidia Riva AGP card