Re: Grub2 install with / on lvm

From: jeff
Subject: Re: Grub2 install with / on lvm
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 09:03:38 -0800 (PST)

Comments / questions inline below.

best idea.

Ok, I learned something new here.  What would be a better choice for the
filesystem for /boot.  I am using xfs for everything else.

>> /dev/sda3 volume group vg_jab (left 100MB unallocated at end)
>> lv_mintroot 8GB /
>> lv_mintvar 4GB /var
>> lv_mintswap 2GB [swap]
>> lv_minthome 80GB /home
>> lv_mintgis 1000GB /gis
>> 4. I will be installing Windows 7 as a VM (using KVM) later in an additional
>> lv.
>> 5. Interestingly df-h does not show /dev/sda2, and ldblk does not show a
>> mount point for /dev/sda2
>> 6. Grub settings point to hd0, gpt1. In grub I see a message of failure
>> reading sector ???? from hd1
>>

>You said you have single disk, so there is no surprised grub cannot
read from hd1 - it should not exist. Where it comes from in grub
configuration?

That I don't know, and I don't have enough knowledge right now to know where
specifically to look.  I would like to see what configuration file is
referencing that to get a better understanding of what is going on.  Can you
point me to where I might look for that?

>> In SuperGrub2 Disk a linux boot image is not present when selecting
>> Everything. If I select Everything+ a boot image appears. Individually going
>> through the options in Extra Grub2 functionality, I get a linux boot image
>> to appear if all I do is enable grub2's LVM support. I booted from this
>> installed image and tried running grub-install. A reboot after that did not
>> resolve the issue. It appears that my grub installation does not have the
>> support for lvm, and it appears that my root partition being on lvm is
>> likely the problem, as somewhere along this path I saw grub referencing the
>> UUID that is my lv_mintroot.
>
>You do not say how you install bootloader. If you are using
distribution specific scripts you may have better luck on corresponding
list.

>In general "grub-install /dev/sda" should figure out what drivers are
needed to access /boot/grub and include them in image. If /boot/grub is
on LVM, grub should include drivers for it in image. It is impossible
to say what is wrong without knowing exact procedure how grub was
installed.

Grub was installed using the standard OS installation in Linux Mint 17.  I
haven't had much luck getting good knowledgable detailed answers there; more
speculation and hypotheses.  It is good to know that grub install would
normally include the LVM driver, so it is possible that Mint installation is
not recognizing that I am using LVM.  Is there a grub config file that would
identify the drivers that are pulled in, and I would be able to see if the
driver for LVM is included.  I don't want to get into hand editing grub
configuration files to get my system running.  I would prefer to have it
automatically the right way, I just want to understand what it did in case it
helps find or fix a bug in the Mint installation.

After I booted the system from the SuperGrub2 disk, I did run grub-install
/dev/sda just to see what would happen (since I was considering re-installing
anyway).  If I recall it ran without error, but still wouldn't boot and had the
same reference to hd1.