Re: PXE+EFI: Show progress during loading kernel and initrd

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: PXE+EFI: Show progress during loading kernel and initrd
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:04:40 +0300

В Wed, 22 Apr 2015 03:25:42 +0000
WangMike <address@hidden> пишет:

> Dear all,
>
> I am using grubx64.efi (got it centos iso) to boot linux via PXE. Everything
> works fine. Just a little piece is not good enough, that is, during loading
> kernel and initrd, it just show a black screen. No anything printed on screen
> to indicate that it's loading files. This black screen may take 30 seconds as
> it try to load kernel/initrd files by using several alternative paths.

There are some problems with grub EFI network drivers that could slow
down (or make it outright impossible) file load. I'm currently working
on a patch, I could include you in Cc for new version if you are
interested in testing it. You will need to compile from source.

> If I set "debug=all" in grub.conf, it will show a lot of debug message, but
> still not show any progress information.
>
> I had used pxe boot of syslinux. It can print a line of dot during loading
> kernel/initrd. That's a good idea to represent loading progress.
>
> Have I missed anything that can help me get similar function in grub pxe boot?

There is some support for file read progress in grub but it does not
always work and I'm not sure if it works for network at all. You could
search grub bugs on savannah and if nothing is present file enhancement
request so it is not lost. But do not hold your breath ...