Re: grub fails to boot, prints only a single dot

From: Alex Regan
Subject: Re: grub fails to boot, prints only a single dot
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:08:34 -0400

Hi,

You mean after running it with the debug options you provided? Is that
really going to make a difference? Or should I see something else printed
during boot with these options?

I hoped so (as I said --debug-image should enable quite verbose output on boot).

How do I capture that output?

When I go to the colo (tonight, hopefully), I don't expect to leave there without a working system since it takes so long to get there. If I can't get grub to work, I'll likely have to reinstall.

The system is at the colo about 25 miles away, and is currently booted using
a sysrescue CDROM with the "boot from existing system" option. Rebooting it
remotely would cause it to not be able to boot unless it works.

Oh. You said you reinstalled grub2 on all four disks so I assumed you
have possibility to also test it.

I have tested it with grub installed on all four disks the last time I was there, and it didn't work.

Unfortunately I do not really see
anything wrong so far. The worst case would be your BIOS having issues
with more that 2 disks; because this is the only explanation I see so
far. GRUB needs to scan all disks to find MD RAID.

Ah, interesting. I thought I had other similar systems with four disks, but perhaps not. This could also mean that reinstalling still doesn't get it to work, because I would have /boot on RAID1 then too.

Could it have to do with the version of grub? It's a fedora20 system, so not all _that_ old.

Does it help to know that it's a SuperMicro X7DBP motherboard? I believe it's this chassis with four INTEL SSDSC2CW060A3 SSDs:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6015/SYS-6015P-TR.cfm

Is it also curious that the sysrescue CDROM is able to boot to the system on the disks without any trouble?

Thanks again,
Alex