Re: Grub-install documentation or override?

From: mgreger
Subject: Re: Grub-install documentation or override?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:03:27 +0000

---- Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
> В Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:35:09 +0000
> <address@hidden> пишет:
>

> > ---- Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > В Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:20:23 +0000

> > > How exactly? chroot must have at least /dev, /sys and /proc available
> > > for device detection to work.
> > >

> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Following the LFS instructions, I create mountpoints before entering the
> > chroot environment:
> >
> > mount -v --bind /dev /mnt/dev
> > mount -vt devpts devpts /mnt/dev/pts -o gid=5,mode=620
> > mount -vt proc proc /mnt/proc
> > mount -vt sysfs sysfs /mnt/sys
> > mount -vt tmpfs tmpfs /mnt/run
> >

> > >  where my LFS system resides. Grub in the LFS system was built with the
> > >  following (from LFS documentation):

> > > I do not have environment to test chroot, but the following works
> > > using current upstream master (sans two clean up patches):
> > >
> > > address@hidden:~> sudo losetup --find --show /tmp/floppy
> > > /dev/loop0
> > > address@hidden:~> sudo kpartx -a /dev/loop0
> > > address@hidden:~> sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt
> > > address@hidden:~/build/grub> ./configure ; make
> > > address@hidden:~/build/grub> sudo pkgdatadir=$PWD ./grub-install -d
> > > grub-core --boot-directory=/mnt /dev/loop0
> > > Installing for i386-pc platform.
> > > Installation finished. No error reported.
> > > address@hidden:~/build/grub>
> > >
> > > As Jordan suggested, you may be missing libdevmapper dependency.
> > >

> > It does not appear libdevmapper is a part of LFS.
>
> Then no kpartx would be possible at all. Where do you think /dev/mapper
> devices come from?

I think you misunderstood.
kpartx is run from the host Debian system. It has the mapper but does not have
grub. The LFS system has grub, but does not have libdevmapper.

>  I could be wrong, but I don't see it anywhere.
> >
> > I don't understand why grub-install needs to find the partition
> > /dev/mapper/loop0p1 at all. Surely all it needs to do is install to the MBR
> > of /dev/loop0 and the embedded space before the first partition. Why would
> > it need anything other than the device name /dev/loop0 ?
> >

> Because it needs to know which drivers are requires to access $prefix;
> whether $prefix is on the same drive as primary boot sector; which
> partition $prefix is in; etc etc etc

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to with $prefix.
Is there no way to manually tell grub that information, rather than have it try
(unsuccessfully) to auto-detect it?
There should always be a way to manually override any kind of auto-detection
logic, IMHO.

> > Assuming libdevmapper is not an option, how could I bypass grub-install,
> > also assuming my /boot/grub directory is empty at start?
>
> Try partitioned loop - losetup -P ...

I've never heard of that option. I will see if it works.