Re: Exporting a variable to use it in a submenu or menuentry function ?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Exporting a variable to use it in a submenu or menuentry function ?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:56:22 +0300

10.02.2016 14:34, Arbiel (gmx) пишет:
> Hi
>
> Is it necessary to export a variable, set in the configuration file, to
> be able to use it in a menuentry ?

No, if it is set in the same variable context.

> Does it matter whether the menuentry
> is embedded or not in a submenu function ?

Yes. Submenu runs in new variable context. Each context has completely
separate set of variables. When new context is created, exported
variables are copied in new context. Without any exports new context
would start empty. Variables created in new context are lost when
context is destroyed (e.g. you exit submenu).

I do not know what was the rationale for this. Personally I find it
rather confusing.

I have in mind documenting but cannot decide in which part of manual it
fits :)