GRUB2 and mkstandalone for PXE Booting

From: Dan Powers
Subject: GRUB2 and mkstandalone for PXE Booting
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:05:23 -0400

Hello All,
I have a question about grub-mkstandalone. Perhaps this is a Debian
question but I thought I would start here. I am running version
2.02~beta2-22+deb8u1. I've been staring at the man page as well as digging
through the help-grub archive and I can't seem to figure out how to do this
right. I have been using pxelinux for some time so PXE / TFTP booting is
not new for me, except for the UEFI / GRUB2 part.

I am trying to make a standalone GRUB UEFI file for PXE booting with the
command below. The grub.cfg file I am trying to use is specific for my PXE
boot.

cd /home/dan/pxebuild/
grub-mkstandalone -d /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/ -O x86_64-efi
--fonts="unicode" -o bootx64.efi grub.cfg

I then copy the output bootx64.efi to my tftp server and my laptop
successfully loads the file via UEFI Onboard NIC(IPV4). When I PXE boot the
file it just brings me to a prompt 'grub> '. If I type in 'ls (memdisk)/' I
can see the grub.cfg file right there and I can load it with 'configfile
(memdisk)/grub.cfg'. I would prefer to just have the grub.cfg file load
automatically but I can't seem to tell 'grub-mkstandalone' to place the
grub.cfg file in the correct path '(memdisk)/boot/grub/grub.cfg'.

If I move my real /boot/grub/grub.cfg file out of the way temporarily and
place my PXE grub.cfg file in it's place everything PXE boots as I expect.

mv /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.orig
cp /home/dan/pxebuild/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub-mkstandalone -d /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/ -O x86_64-efi
--fonts="unicode" -o bootx64.efi /boot/grub/grub.cfg
rm /boot/grub/grub.cfg
mv /boot/grub/grub.cfg.orig /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I would rather not do the extra steps and was hoping I am just doing
something wrong.

Thanks,
Dan