LUKS decryption taking an unreasonably long time?

From: Aleksejs Popovs
Subject: LUKS decryption taking an unreasonably long time?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 12:57:15 -0400

Hi,

Just installed GRUB on my new laptop and found the new cryptodisk feature. It seemed super convenient, so I enabled it, but what I noticed was that GRUB takes an unreasonably long time to actually decrypt the disk --- it takes approximately 10 seconds from the time I enter my passphrase until GRUB says "Slot 0 opened". For comparison, booting the system itself (which involves opening the slot again) takes less than a second.

Does anyone have any idea about why it is so slow and what I can do about it? I'd be happy to at least manage to profile it somehow, e.g. by enabling debugging output and looking at whether the slow part is the PBKDF, the key recovery, or something else, but I don't know how to enable debug mode, since this happens before grub.cfg can be read.

Thanks!
-Aleksejs