Re: `grub-install` failed on a partitionless fully luks encrypted 4TB HD

From: Hamid Nassiby
Subject: Re: `grub-install` failed on a partitionless fully luks encrypted 4TB HDD
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:22:29 +0330

Hi Andrei,

The output of "fdisk -l /dev/sdb":

Disk /dev/sdb: 3.7 TiB, 4000787030016 bytes, 7814037168 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

The output of "blkid":

/dev/mapper/wallet: UUID="$Luks"
> TYPE="LVM2_member"
>
> /dev/mapper/my_vg-root: LABEL="root" UUID="$root" UUID_SUB="$root_sub"
> TYPE="btrfs"
>
> /dev/sdb: UUID="$sdb"
> TYPE="crypto_LUKS"
>
> /dev/mapper/my_vg-swap: UUID="$swap"
> TYPE="swap"
>
> /dev/mapper/my_vg-home: LABEL="home" UUID="$home" UUID_SUB="$home_sub"
> TYPE="btrfs"

"/dev/mapper/wallet" is my Luks container. On top of "wallet", I have a
volume group named "my_vg" which has 3 logical volumes:

   1. my_vg-root (mounted as /)
   2. my_vg-home (mounted as /home)
   3. my_vg-swap

Also it might be suitable to put the output of "cryptsetup status wallet":

/dev/mapper/wallet is active and is in use.
>   type:    LUKS1
>   cipher:  aes-xts-plain64
>   keysize: 256 bits
>   device:  /dev/sdb
>   offset:  4096 sectors
>   size:    7814033072 sectors
>   mode:    read/write

In the last output, we have "offset:  4096 sectors". I am not sure whether
it is the offset of luks container from the start of disk drive (which is
unencrypted) or offset of luks data from luks header.

Please let me know if I could provide any other information.

Regards,
Hamid