Ethernet Interface disappear after exit from grub command prompt

From: Wasim Khan
Subject: Ethernet Interface disappear after exit from grub command prompt
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:11:43 +0000

Hi,

I am working on a EDK2 based UEFI solution for arm64 architecture board. I am
trying Pxeboot to boot Linux from network.

I am doing below steps:

*         From UEFI boot Menu, select Pxeboot on a particular interface (say
eth0).

*         After getting the grub.efi from network, select a menu entry from
grub menu.

*         If a file corresponding to selected grub menu entry is not present on
tftp server, grub menu is displayed again.

*         Now go to grub command prompt and run 'exit' command.

*         I am coming back to UEFI boot menu, but if I go to UEFI SHELL,
interface eth0 is not visible in ifconfig command.

Same behavior is observed on arm64 QEMU virtual machine UEFI firmware .
http://snapshots.linaro.org/components/kernel/leg-virt-tianocore-edk2-upstream/latest/QEMU-AARCH64/DEBUG_GCC5/

Is it a bug in grub OR is it by design?
Can someone help me understand the exit process, that why exit from grub
command prompt (after tftp fail) is making the interface down ?

Thanks,
Wasim