grub fails on a quite regular "search" command, probably due to bios

From: Arbiel (gmx)
Subject: grub fails on a quite regular "search" command, probably due to bios
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 22:49:33 +0100

Hi everybody

I recently installed several GNU systems (Ubunty family) on a removable
msdos (4 primary partitions) device. One partition holds a ntfs file
system and is used as backup of Windows files, a tiny second partition
(ext2) is used as a shared /grub directory for the systems installed on
the third lvm partition.

I can boot my own PC (Dell Vostro) from that device, as well as other
PCs (Samsung, but I don't know the exact model).

I have not been unable to boot a Sony Vaio with this device. The grub
menu is perfectly displayed. But then grub fails on the "search"
command, looking for the device address where vmlinuz and initrd.img reside.

As the booting is done always from the same device, nothing changes from
the run on a PC to the run on other one, but the bios. As grub may rely
on the bios to access the disks, I suppose the issue stems from the bios
of the Sony Vaio.

In order to bypass the bios, I loaded the nativedisk module and ran a
first test on my own PC, only to realize that in doing so, I damage the
lvm partition, and nothing boots any longer.

1) Is my assumption concerning the source of the issue correct ? If not,
what other assumptions can be done ?
2) Can really nativedisk have hurt my lvm partition ?
3) is nativedisk a theorical solution to the issue, and should it be
used only in case the "regular" boot fails ?
4) Is it possible to have grub accessing the various vmlinuz and
initrd.img files from the ntfs partition where there is plenty of room
to copy them (the ext2 partition is not large enough) ; I tried but
received a "file is not available" error message.

Thank you in advance for your recommandations and advice.

Arbiel