Re: unetbootin rendered system unbootable

From: lejeczek
Subject: Re: unetbootin rendered system unbootable
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 19:02:10 +0000

On 23/01/18 22:35, sashab wrote:
Hi L,

please beware: all advice below are IMHO and AFAIK (and i'm a novice, too).

First of all, the obvious: Is your laptop set to boot "UEFI" (after you
may have tried to boot FreeDos via "legacy boot")?

Have you checked the contents of your EFI-Partition /dev/sda1?
Especially if there is EFI/fedora/grubx64.efi?

Have you checked the contents of your /boot partition /dev/sda2?
Especially if there are grub-modules inside /boot/grub/* and a valid
config in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

For missing grub modules you may want to chroot in your installed os and
do a grub-install there. Maybe also append "--target=x86_64-efi" to that
command.
For missing config you probably want a "grub-mkconfig -O
/boot/grub/grub.cfg" within your chroot.

According efivars:
By pressing "F12" or something it should be possible to get a menu to
choose a boot option before the firmware actually tries to boot.
What are the entries presented there?
(You may wish do add --bootloader-id=test to your grub-install call to
be sure that you're choosing the right entry. However, after doing so
later you'll have to cleanup the efi variable mess.)
You may visit wiki.archlinux.org for more info on handling uefi stuff.

Regards,
     sashab