Grub-install fails with grub-install: error: disk `md0' not found.

From: Mark Syms
Subject: Grub-install fails with grub-install: error: disk `md0' not found.
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 07:31:39 +0000

Hoping someone can help with this.

My system received a package update for grub from the distribution but as
the package completed its update it failed (on all four drives) with the
error in the subject line.

I've raised a bug with the distribution but so far no update.

I'm sure it's something to do with my system being outside the normal
environment but I hope it can be recovered as I'm not convinced it will
properly reboot now.

System has 4 2TB drives in it, each with 3 partitions. Partition 1 is a
bios boot partition, partition 2 is used in a 4 way RAID1 for /boot and
partition 3 is used in a 4 way RAID5 array with LVM serving all the rest of
the storage. (don't start any religious wars on RAID levels, don't want to
hear it).

I've run grub-install with -v but that hasn't really given me any hints but
if someone can point me at the important parts of the verbose log I'm happy
to find and post snippets of it.

Thanks,

Mark