Understanding Grub2

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Understanding Grub2
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 07:58:23 -0500

Underlying motivation:
  I find how Debian uses Grub has _petty_ annoyances.
Historical background:
  When asking questions in past the response was "OS specific".
Tentative project description:
  "A *MINIMALIST* install of a pure GNU GRUB system"
Underlying assumption:
  I have a lot of reading ahead.
  (https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html does
   not address my questions. Or if it does I don't see it ;/)

My hardware can boot from a USB connected device and a MBR BIOS is used.
I wish to dedicate the first partition to Grub and an absolutely minimal set of Linux core components. The result will be able to run on any i386 machine capable of booting from an external device. As there may or may not be a complete OS elsewhere on my device, it implies the functional equivalent of "update-grub" being on same partition to which the minimalist Grub has been installed.

I've accomplished something similar on my working machine by doing a complete Debian install to /dev/sda1 and when making further Debian installs to /dev/sdaN choosing to install neither LILO nor GRUB.
["update-grub" present ONLY on /dev/sda1]

Comments/Suggestions?

TIA