Re: problems dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10

From: David Collier
Subject: Re: problems dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 12:51:15 -0700

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:41 AM Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden>
wrote:

> The
> one you need first is grub-efi-amd64-bin. It won't run grub-install
> automatically. After all is fine, you can install grub-efi-amd64 which
> replaces grub-pc and runs grub-install automatically.
>
> Make sure you run grub-install from the distribution, not the one you
> built from source.

Ok, I uninstalled locally built grub and installed both grub and
grub-efi-amd64
from ubuntu, then again booted from USB stick in EFI mode and entered
chroot.

This time grub-install would not recognize the --target command line option:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
address@hidden:/# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=Ubuntu
Unrecognized option `--target=x86_64-efi'
Usage: grub-install [OPTION] install_device
Install GRUB on your drive.

  -h, --help              print this message and exit
  -v, --version           print the version information and exit
  --root-directory=DIR    install GRUB images under the directory DIR
                          instead of the root directory
  --grub-shell=FILE       use FILE as the grub shell
  --no-floppy             do not probe any floppy drive
  --force-lba             force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy
                          BIOS
  --recheck               probe a device map even if it already exists

INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.

grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by
--root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot
sector.

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.
address@hidden:/# grub-install -v
grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97)
address@hidden:/#

at this point I decided to run grub-install from the locally built
directory, it did accept --target command line option, but still complained
about  /usr/local/lib/grub/x86_64_efi/modinfo.sh not existing, so I mapped
/usr/lib/grub/x86_64_efi into /usr/local/lib/grub and at that point
grub-install invocation finally succeeded and created that path in
/boot/efi you mentioned earlier.

I am still at loss though  - what do I do next, to get Windows showing as
an entry in the grub boot menu?

thank you,
-dc