Unlocking ATA password locked drive before booting

From: Olaf Fraczyk
Subject: Unlocking ATA password locked drive before booting
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 15:43:15 +0200

Hi,

I have a mainboard that doesn't support ATA password, even for entering one.
The disk is not frozen.
This is UEFI system.
I want to use USB flash disk with grub installed to unlock the drive using
hdparm (I know I need to modify the hdparm, as the version with grub
doesn't have code to unlock the drive).
Next I want to boot a system from the unlocked drive. On the locked drive
can be Linux or Windows (7 or 10).
Does anyone has made such setup and can help with it using step by step
explanation?

Best regards,

Olaf