Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 20:50:42 +0200

Le 05/06/2018 à 15:03, David H. Durgee a écrit :

Finally I ran:

sudo chattr +i /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img

Per Arch Linux Wiki GRUB Tips & Tricks this should prevent the critical blocklist for GRUB from being modified and breaking GRUB.

I guess you are referring to this :
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Install_to_partition_or_partitionless_disk>

Setting the immutable attribute protects the file against deletion or modification by any user (including root), but I doubt that it prevents its data blocks from being moved around internally by the filesystem itself, which breaks the block list. For instance it does not prevent resize2fs from reducing an ext4 filesystem to a size which requires moving the data blocks of an immutable file.

Another remark about the following quote :

"in case of partition or a partitionless disk is that GRUB relies on embedded blocklists in the partition bootsector to locate the /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img file and the prefix directory /boot/grub."

I must say that the latter is wrong. GRUB does not rely on blocklists to locate /boot/grub. Reading filesystem metadata such as a directory requires filesystem support, so using blocklists would make no sense.