Re: debugging grub2

From: daggs
Subject: Re: debugging grub2
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 22:53:10 +0200

Greetings Pascal,

> Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 at 1:04 AM
> From: "Pascal Hambourg" <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: debugging grub2
>
> Le 05/09/2018 à 22:41, daggs a écrit :
> >
> >> From: "Pascal Hambourg" <address@hidden>
> >>
> >> This is the DOS partition table in the MBR of the ISO-hybrid image. It
> >> is used only when the image is written to a disk, thumbdrive or flash
> >> card. It is not part of El Torito and ignored (by EFI/BIOS firmwares)
> >> when the image is written on optical media.
> >
> > I'm booting from a virtual optical cd, I'm not burning the image.
>
> What do you mean exactly ? Are you using the image on a virtual machine
> or on a storage device which emulates optical media ?
no, servers can emulate cdroms via their chassis.
the chassis management center allows loading an provided iso and emulates it as
actual cdrom to the server

> In either case, it does not matter that it is not a real optical disk as
> long as the UEFI firmware sees it as such.
indeed, the same layout can be found in the ubuntu installer, the first
partition is the cdrom and the second is the efi boot partition.

> > actually, that explains why I see it as (hd0) on the other machine.
>
> How do you use the image on this other machine ? If it is on a disk or
> flash drive, the UEFI firmware sees it as a partitioned disk.
as said above, virtual cdrom