Re: Cannot get GRUB boot menu to display more than 3/100ths seconds

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: Cannot get GRUB boot menu to display more than 3/100ths seconds
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 23:12:42 -0400

address@hidden writes:
>    Althought I have configured the boot menu timout to 5 seconds, the boot
>    menu only flashes on screen briefly for 3/100ths of a second and
>    disappears. I have tried all sorts of combinations of configuration
>    changes and just cannot seem to do anything to get the boot menu to
>    actually stay on the screen.

I don't know what is going on, but one thing I would check is the
contents of any files that can be source'd by Grub.  For instance, I see
this:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

This follows the menuentry's, so I don't know when it's supposed to take
effect, nor do I know the values of ${config_directory} or $prefix.  But
if there's a file name custom.cfg being source'd, it could be changing
the timeout variable in a way that overrides the setting of it at the
beginning of the file.

Dale