Re: UEFI multiboot control usurped with each kernel update

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: UEFI multiboot control usurped with each kernel update
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:33:43 +0200

Le 18/10/2018 à 05:54, Felix Miata a écrit :
Felix Miata composed on 2018-08-09 01:10 (UTC-0400):

With 3 distro installations on one disk, each OS as a kernel update is installed
updates NVRAM to make its entry in the ESP partition top priority. How can I
stop that from happening, so that my choice of priority remains first instead of
me needing to remember before shutdown or reboot to run efibootmgr to put it
back like it was before the kernel update? I don't want to prevent the update
from creating a new /boot/grub/grub.cfg, only from usurping boot priority.

What are these distributions ? The ones I know use GRUB EFI and reinstall it only when installing or updating GRUB packages, not when installing or updating a kernel. The latter just requires updating grub.cfg.

What I've been doing is commenting out the EFI partition line in fstab of all
distros except the
one I wish to retain boot priority in NVRAM. So far it seems to be effective in
preventing
updates usurpation. Can anyone think of reason(s) why this might be a bad idea?
So far, I've
come up with nothing.

It seems that grub-install aborts immediately if the EFI partition is not mounted, so it should be fine if all distributions use GRUB.