Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -boots slow and strange?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -boots slow and strange?
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 00:12:40 +0200

Le 21/10/2018 à 22:31, address@hidden a écrit :

  Good points. I somehow missed the whole UUID thing?? From what I understand UUID is 'somehow' stored in the 'master block' of the partition? I assume this really means the first physical block of the partition as opposed to the MBR?

The metadata which include the UUID are not necessarily in the first physical block. It depends on the contents type. Quite often the first block is left unused so that it can contain a boot program. For some contents types, metadata can even be at the end of the device (version 0.90 RAID superblock, GPT backup header).

   fstab seems to 'know' about the HUGE swap partition. Quite a waste of space! I am tempted to use fdisk and tweak things and see if Debian 9.5 can figure it out. As long as I remember to put down the original values I 'should' be able to put things back :) ?

Tweak what ? Figure out what ?
If you believe the swap partition is too big, you can delete it and create a smaller one at the end of the card. You can then use the free space to create a new partition or to extend the root partition. In any case, you must format the swap partition with the mkswap command I provided in a previous post. Or if you believe a swap is not needed, you can delete all references to it from /etc/fstab and /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and do whatever you want with the card space.

    I gather wipefs tries to locate the UUID and 'fix' it?

wipefs does not fix anything. It just locates or erases metadata.