Re: How to install grub onto an added drive?

From: Randy Goldenberg
Subject: Re: How to install grub onto an added drive?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 11:13:45 -0800

On Monday November 18, 2019, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 18/11/2019 à 00:27, Randy Goldenberg a écrit :

Your description of your situation suggests that you are using legacy BIOS booting.  If that is the case, in the absence of limiting circumstances, I strongly recommend moving to UEFI.

Why ?
In the absence of strong motivation [1], I recommend against moving to UEFI. From my experience and knowledge, EFI boot is more complex, has more bugs and is more easily broken than legacy BIOS boot.

[1] Such motivation may include some (but not all) multi-boot setups, or the lack of NVMe support by the UEFI firmware in legacy mode.

I do indeed work with many multiboot setups, and my experience with UEFI has all been positive. Apart from the ease of applying changes in multiboot systems, I find that UEFI makes the boot process more open to the user, and accessible. The only problems I've encountered appear to be caused by poor or limited support in old firmware, or by non-standard features added by vendors such as Apple.