Re: How to install grub onto an added drive?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: How to install grub onto an added drive?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 20:49:26 +0100

Le 18/11/2019 à 20:33, Chris Green a écrit :
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 08:20:44PM +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

You cannot mark a whole drive as bootable. You can mark a primary partition
as bootable, but this is needed only with broken firmwares which require it.
A compliant BIOS does not require a bootable partition.

Ah, OK, I hadn't realised that (that marking bootable isn't
necessary).

IF the BIOS is compliant.

How does the BIOS decide what disk to boot from then,
does it search for the MBR signature?

Yes, but any disk with a DOS or GPT partition table has the MBR signature, and not all MBR contain a boot code. Usually, the boot preference order is defined in the BIOS setup.

Update fstab and the initramfs.

OK, fstab is easy enough.  Do I just run update-initramfs for the
initramfs?

Yes, if the initramfs generator is initramfs-tools, with -u (update). With default options (MODULES=most in /etc/initramfs-tools/), the existing initramfs should already include NVMe support.