Re: How to change /boot disk?

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: How to change /boot disk?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:24:40 +0000

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 09:22:22PM +0100, Pascal-liste wrote:
> > For this, I'd normally use rsync - a bit overkill but it's my tool for
> choice for copies that involve large amounts of stuff or enclosed
> directories.
> "rsync -av /boot /mnt" assuming your new boot is mounted on /mnt
> > • Get the new UID for the filesystem and edit your fstab
> >
> It won't boot, because GRUB is not installed on the new boot disk and
> grub.cfg is not updated with the new /boot UUID. Several steps are required
> before rebooting.
>
> Unmount the old /boot.
> Mount the new /boot.
> Install GRUB on the new boot disk with grub-install /dev/sdb.
> Update grub.cfg with update-grub.
> Now you can reboot.

Yes, thanks all, I am now booting from my SATA SSD and have removed
the (now redundant) hard disk.

Sequence was basically as above, copy /boot files to new disk (which
would become /boot) using rsync.  Then the umount/mount, grub-install
and update-grub.  Modify /etc/fstab and that's it.

--
Chris Green