Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive

From: Nathan Stratton Treadway
Subject: Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 12:28:49 -0400

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 17:54:25 +0200, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
> Hi Pascal, thanks a lot for your answer.
>
> > Is the firmware able to address 8 TB capacity ?
>
> I am not quite sure how to find out.

It was on a much older generation of equipment, where we were
discovering that the BIOS couldn't access the full 32G Compact-Flash
card we were trying to use, but on this particular box I was able to use
"ls (hd0)" at the grub prompt to see grub's idea of the size of the
device (which presumably was based on the BIOS's access limits):

====
grub> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (md0,msdos1)
grub> ls (hd0)
Device hd0: No known filesystem detected - Sector size 512 - Total size
8257032KiB
====

Since 8257032KiB is nowhere near 32G, we figured the BIOS couldn't
access the full disk (and so we used a small /boot partition to do the
install).

(In the context of your discussion, I guess you would need to do this
test from a grub that is *not* using the native grub device drivers.)

                                                Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  address@hidden  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239