Re: How searching for EFI-directory with custom-bootloader grubx64.efi?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: How searching for EFI-directory with custom-bootloader grubx64.efi?
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 14:52:44 +0200

Please reply to the list and do not top-post.

Le 03/05/2020 à 13:51, address@hidden a écrit :
As i researched, it could work as:

# EFI/Linux/grubx64.efi & grub.cfg - > the custom bootimage & grub.cfg to
/boot/grub/grub.cfg
# configfile ${cmdpath}/grub.cfg

GRUB can also search for a device which contains a specific file (assuming the filesystem driver is embedded or loaded) with

search --file --set <var> <pathname>

I also could add the custom-path:

# EFI/boot/bootx64.efi & grub.cfg

"Custom-path" ? EFI/boot/bootx64.efi is the removabe device path.
How does this help finding the proper device name ?

   The Debian secure-boot setting works every time - at least for me. Do you
think the big distros as Debian, etc. do it the same way?

IICR, Debian signed GRUB image is hardwired to search grub.cfg in /EFI/debian and won't work if installed in another path (e.g. with grub-install --bootloader-id <name>).

Am 03.05.2020 10:18 schrieb Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden>:

     Le 03/05/2020 à 09:38, Dernsen a écrit :

      > The grubx64.efi is signed, so you can not edit it after signing and so
      > it is a custom bootimage, this should work for installing on any
      > amd64-efi system. So I set within grubx64.efi:
      >
      > set root='hd0,gpt1'
      >
      > set prefix=($root)'/EFI/linux'
      >
      > configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
      >
      > Usually EFI-directory is 'hd0,gpt1',

     No it's not. The EFI partition may have any number, and the boot disk
     many not be hd0.

      > How could grub search specificly for the EFI-directory , which has to be
      > on every EFI-system?

     What about $cmdpath ?