Re: GRUB2 - howto verify grub installation without rebooting

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: GRUB2 - howto verify grub installation without rebooting
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 02:39:23 +0000

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 19:07:41 +0200
Krzysztof Szwaba <mailing_ks@infolan.net.pl> wrote:

> Is it possible to verify grub installation without rebooting?
> I need this feature to verify grub instalation in one disc after
> replacing it in dm/raid1.

Depends how much verification you want, how you're booting, and if you
want it automated. I have tested booting manually via qemu by booting
qemu with the raw disks. Be careful though, you don't want to boot all
the way unless you make sure the disks can't be written to by qemu (use
dm-snapshot or losetup -r). Of course, this isn't the same as booting
with your BIOS on your hardware, but I've found in practice its
sufficient for my needs.

Glenn