help-gsl

Re: First ever GSL Technical Report (ALFs)

From: Mike Marchywka
Subject: Re: First ever GSL Technical Report (ALFs)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 03:45:18 -0500

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 10:00:31PM -0500, Liam Healy wrote:
>    This thread seems relevant; as of 2015 or so, the answer was "most
> probably not":
>
> [https://github.com/openjournals/brief-ideas/issues/132#issuecomment-164936220]https://github.com/openjournals/brief-ideas/
>    issues/132#issuecomment-164936220
>    and if you scroll all the way to the bottom through many "any updates on
> this?" postings,
>    you'll see postings from a few days ago saying basically nothing's changed.
>    I just checked some of my papers on Zenodo, and none came up in GS.

I started using researchgate and academia.edu a couple years ago and monitored
GS indexing. Most of these come up a week or so after posting but
they may curate them hard to know,

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mike_Marchywka

Again, researchgate generates a DOI but I'm not sure it is useful
for getting bibliographic information since neither it nor the one
I checked from Zenodo worked with crossref.

Googgle Scholar does have a way to generate bibtex from an indexed result
but last time I looked it was very terse or incomplete. When I find hits
on GS I don't use their cite facilities but put the link into Toobib
( others may use Zotero ). In any case, once a document is downloaded
you may still want to cite it but I don't see anyone other than myself
advocating a method to include machine readable citation information.
Also there is another annoyance in the lack of being able to know
when a document generates interest as with a user clicking on a
bibliographic citation. I'm working on a modifying bibliographies
in documents I gnerate to put a doc identifier ( maybe a DOI when
a useful one exists ) in the query string so a server could
attribute the click to the work. Or, maybe do as google does
and wrap the entire URL into a central passthrough server
so it can cound the clicks before redirecting to the
real location :)

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox