Re: failed to install locale

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: failed to install locale
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:17:49 -0400

On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 12:24:43PM +0200, Catonano wrote:
> Ok, going on with my attempt to do the binary installation of Guix
>
> In order to read what follows, I suspect that the information that I'm on a
> Fedora 23 x64 installation with the Italian locale as current can help.
>

> At the step no 7, this is what happens
>
> address@hidden info] # guix archive --authorize <
> ~root/.guix-profile/share/guix/hydra.gnu.org.pub
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument

That warning should not be a problem.

If you end up having locale issues while using the software that you've
installed with Guix, you'll need to point the environment variable
GUIX_LOCPATH at a locale package installed by Guix [0], as shown in
2.6 Application Setup [1].

So, I set that variable in the file that configures my login shell (not
my interactive shell). For Bash [2], this could be ~/.profile. For Zsh,
this could be ~/.zprofile [3].

And, since you are configuring login shells, it won't take effect until
you open a new login shell, as with `bash -l` or by logging out and back
in.

I hope that helps!

By the way, it's also a good idea to source the file
~/.guix-profile/etc/profile in your login shell. It sets some useful
variables.

[0]
I don't know whether or not you could use the locales provided by your
host distro.

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Application-Setup

[2]