Re: guix installed Emacs

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: guix installed Emacs
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 14:52:10 +0300

Catonano (2016-04-16 14:17 +0300) wrote:

>     As Jean pointed most likely the problem with fonts happens
>     because Emacs
>     from Guix doesn't use fonts from your Fedora font dirs.
>     Installing
>     required fonts in your user profile will probably fix this
>     issue.  You
>     can do it like this:
>
>       guix package -i font-liberation font-dejavu ...
>
>     The problem with less bright colors is very surprising for me.
>     Apparently it is the same "custom theme" in both emacs-es, but it
>     visibly differs.  My only guess is: the theme you use defines
>     different
>     colors depending on a "class of terminal"/"number of available
>     colors".
>     But it's probably a bad guess, since it is the same gui emacs in
>     both
>     cases.
>
>     What theme is it?  Some derivation of "zenburn" maybe.  Could you
>     point
>     to its source code please?
>
> This is it
> http://github.com/bbatsov/zenburn-emacs

OK, this theme shouldn't cause the difference in brightness, I think.  I
have another guess.  Does Fedora use "site-start.el"?  If so, this file
is not loaded by Guix's Emacs, because it is placed somewhere in
/usr/share/... and Guix's Emacs doesn't look at this directory (also our
emacs uses its own "site-start.el" to load emacs packages installed in
"~/.guix-profile").

You can check if Fedora's Emacs uses "site-start.el" with this:

  M-x find-library site-start

But actually I don't understand how the difference in brightness can
happen at all.  This is a mystery for me.

>  Ok, this is the Guix Emacs
[...]
>     xft:-PfEd-DejaVu
> Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x56)
>
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   name: LATIN SMALL LETTER S
>   general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
>   decomposition: (115) ('s')
>
> There are text properties here:
>   face                 variable-pitch

You can move the point to 'variable-pitch' button and press RET there to
find out if it has the same customization in both cases.

> And this is the Fedora Emacs
[...]
>     xft:-PfEd-DejaVu
> Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x56)

OK, so Fedora's Emacs has a bigger font (19 against 13).

You can use something like this to set the font and its size:

  (set-frame-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-15" nil t)

> But anyway, I made a little screenshot with Shutter just to make the
> difference between the minibuffers more evident

This should be fixed if you change the font size.

Another thing: I noticed that Guix's Emacs doesn't display some buttons
on the tool bar.  This should probably (I'm not sure) be fixed by
installing some icon theme in your profile, for example
'adwaita-icon-theme'.

--
Alex