Re: [UX] real names exposed

From: Eric Bavier
Subject: Re: [UX] real names exposed
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:33:53 -0500

On 2016-08-31 18:11, Leo Famulari wrote:
On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 02:25:49PM -0400, Troy Sankey wrote:
I understand why this happens:

  % khal --help
  Usage: .khal-real [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]...
  [...]

but I think it sorta sucks for user experience. Just thought I'd point this
out, and I was wondering if there were any ideas to address this.

Specifically, argv[0] references the name of the "real" executable, rather than the guix wrapper. This is almost always benign, but it looks ugly in help
menus.

I wonder if the Khal author (Christian) intends for users to rename the
executable. Otherwise, why use argv[0]? Is it some side-effect of a
documentation tool used by Khal?

I would understand if khal and ikhal were the same executable, and
behavior was changed based on argv[0], but that's not the case.

It does look ugly.

It's not just khal. Most other executables and scripts that reference argv[0] or $0 end up with the *=real string.

In our wrapper scripts, we pass -a to exec, which is supposed to address this issue, but for some reason it seems ineffective.

`~Eric
--
`~Eric