Re: Some questions regarding GuixSD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Some questions regarding GuixSD
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 10:18:40 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden skribis:

> 1) Is there any way to prevent a package from being installed at all?

Only packages that you want are “installed”, in the sense that only
packages that you explicitly ask for are available in your user profile.

The /gnu/store directory may contain other packages, but you don’t have
to worry about that.

> 2) Are multiple versions of a package in the tree at any given time?

You can have multiple profiles, each containing a different version of a
given package, for example.

The source tree of Guix itself usually only contains the latest version
of each package.  There are exceptions for packages where it makes sense
to keep several stable series in parallel: GCC, Python, Guile, etc.

> 3) Is there any way to install GuixSD from something other than the LiveUSB
> image on the site?

You can install Guix on top of your GNU/Linux system and run:

  guix system init config.scm /

Be careful: this is a one-way change!

> 4) Is GnuNET integration already working?

No.

> 5) How do I install Guix for a nonroot account in another distro?

First you install it as root, as described in the installation
instructions at <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/download/>.
Then all the users on that system, root or not, can use it.

> I'm also curious what the current plans are for Guix/GuixSD are.

The ‘ROADMAP’ file lists remaining features or issues that need to be
addressed before 1.0.  If everything goes well, 1.0 will be ready within
6 months or so.

HTH!

Ludo’.