curl_ca_bundle, and gnurl?

From: ng0
Subject: curl_ca_bundle, and gnurl?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:12:59 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> myglc2 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> With GuixSD user config ...
……
>>  )
>
> You forgot to actually add “nss-certs” to the manifest.  After adding
> “nss-certs” you need to set the environment variable CURL_CA_BUNDLE:
>
>   export
> CURL_CA_BUNDLE=/home/rekado/.myglc2-profile/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
>
> (I only recently patched r-curl to respect this environment variable.
> We should patch libcurl so that all packages using libcurl understand
> it.)

I wonder if we need this for gnurl or if the code base of gnurl is still
curl-like enough that it respects the variable.. last time I tried gnurl
as a user on its own (which is *not* the intended use) was on Gentoo.
Gnurl is afaik not (yet) a gnu project and requires no sync with the gnu
descriptions.. I should add this to the description.

But can you share some insights why curl requires this? For gnurl I rely
on its test suite, but I think curl does not complain about the missing
CURL_CA_BUNDLE in its test suite either, or does it?

And if gnurl should require this, how could I fix gnurl (not the package
description in guix) to drop this strange behavior if it is possible at
all?